Pre Start Maths
If you would like to register for a part-time programme then you have the option of completing the ITT Dublin Pre Start Maths Course. The aim of this programme is to allow a thorough revision and consolidation of key basic mathematical topics. On completion of the course you will be given a competency test based on what you have learned.
The course runs in June/July and August/September each year.
You should consider completing the ITT Dublin Pre Start Maths Course IF
- You do not meet the mathematics requirements for the course of your choice.
- You are considering completing an Engineering or Science course which involves advanced mathematics. For Example: FESCAP (Ab-Initio Ordinary degree in Mechanical Engineering) in ACCS mode
- You are a mature applicant who has applied to ITT Dublin for an engineering, science or computing course and you would like to do some preparatory work on your mathematics prior to starting your course in September 2017.
Aims: The aim of this module is to allow a thorough revision and consolidation of key basic mathematical topics that are necessary for students prior to entry onto the programmes in IT Tallaght which contain mathematical content.
- Learning Outcomes:
Having successfully completed this module, the student will be able to:
1. Calculate and simplify numerical expressions involving scientific (standard form) notation.
2. Manipulate and solve algebraic expressions and equations.
3. Apply the basic techniques of trigonometry to solve problems.
4. Find the equation of a straight line through data.
Arithmetic: Arithmetic of real numbers, indices, fractions, scientific form.
Algebraic expressions and formulae: Precedence rules. Manipulation of algebraic expressions. Manipulation of algebraic fractions. Factorisation of quadratic expressions. Recognition of the graphs of simple quadratic forms.
Algebraic equations: Solution of linear and quadratic equations.
Co-ordinate geometry: Cartesian co-ordinates. Equation of a straight line. Plotting simple linear laws, y-intercept and slope.
Trigonometry: Right-angled triangles. sin, cos and tan. Pythagoras’ theorem. Solution of right-angled triangles. Introduction to sine and cosine rules.
COURSE DATES AND TIMES
The cost of this programme is €100.
The next course will commence in May 2017 and a second session will run in August 2017.
To register your interest in the Pre Start Maths Programme please email LLL@ittdublin.ie and also check this page for updates.